Total Pageviews

Monday, January 2, 2012

Vacation is over...

Maggie and Riley in New York City, December 26th, 2008


This Christmas vacation is nearly over. All in all, it was a nice, calm, vacation. The kids and I will go back to school, hopefully ready tomorrow.
Over the Christmas break, I have been reading a teaching book called "A Place For Wonder." My school librarian recommended it to me, telling me that she thought that I would enjoy it. After reading half the book, it makes me rethink how I teach Writing and Science, and I'm looking forward to incorporating some of these practices in my classroom. I have also discovered several kindergarten teacher blogs, and I am truly amazed at how much work they all put into keeping up their blogs and sharing their ideas. Of course, most of things on their blogs are teaching materials that you need to pay for to get, but nonetheless, there's still lots of ideas out there. I feel the creative juices, and I'm glad I had the break to get some of that energy back!
This is the first time in all my years being a teacher that I neglected to go into school during Christmas Break. If I were to make a guess, I would say about 60% of elementary teachers return to school, at some point during the vacation. We make copies, get centers ready, organize ourselves, and take down all the Christmas evidence that is still on our walls. Well, I wasn't able to get into school, since Maggie was sick, so I'm sure my first day back tomorrow will be a little overwhelming. But I really can't worry about it now, since I do have one day left of this vacation!
I'm going to spend today taking a walk with the kids and Toga, since it's sunny and fairly warm out. Maggie wrote some songs over the Christmas break, so she plans on performing them on her piano later this afternoon. It's the simple things today. The busy life will start again tomorrow. For today, I have one more day to just be.

4 comments:

  1. I love your blogs:) You have a natural talent for telling life stories. I look forward to your next post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Peggy! Happy New Year, and I hope we see each other this year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love reading your blog Stacey!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brandi, I just found out today that Riley is a follower of your blog- he thinks you're funny! I love reading yours too. So witty and refreshing!

    ReplyDelete