Total Pageviews

Monday, March 19, 2012

The Rules of White Pants....What rules????


Last March on a beautiful warm sunny day, my German friend Mona, was wearing white pants. I complimented her on her white pants and told her how in the States, Americans don't wear white pants until after Memorial Day, an American holiday at the end of May. (Last March, I was an expat living in Germany). We were always telling each other facts and little tidbits about each others' cultures- she told me way more about German culture than I did about American culture, but I was trying to do my part with the white pants.


"Why?" she asked. "Why do you wait until May to wear white pants?"

"I don't know. It's like one of those unwritten fashion rules. And then we can only wear white pants until Labor Day, which is an American holiday in the beginning of September. And I don't know why we stop in September." I shrugged my shoulders.

She looked kind of confused. She looked up at me and laughed and I knew she thought that was the strangest set of rules she ever heard of. I had to agree with her- it does seem kind of weird that as a society we follow these white pant rules.

So, in upstate New York, it was a mid 70 degree sunny day today, and I took my white pants out of my summer wardrobe. And I wore them to work today, in honor of my dear friend Mona. Thanks to my European influences, and my "unwritten rules"- because if they're not written, I don't need to obey them.

7 comments:

  1. My principal always teases about the "proper" time to wear white pants. It's too funny! I think you are right! As a fellow upstate New Yorker, I think you need to grab the opportunity and celebrate this glorious weather!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray for you! I have never understood those rules.

    ReplyDelete
  3. White pants rule!!! I wore my on Saturday as it was way over 70 degrees! Who made the rules anyway??

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am wearing them tomorrow with white shoes. The fashion police can just get over it. Way to be a rebel!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pete the cat is suddenly in my head... "I love my white pants, I love my white pants."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh good, I wore white pants last week when it warmed up here. I'm glad to know I'm not the only rule-breaker. Now, I have Pete the Cat in my head too (brings me smiles).

    ReplyDelete
  7. PS, thanks for visiting my blog - fun to hear about your students wondering. I saw your note about having your own "eat, pray, love" experience. Sounds divine.

    ReplyDelete